Updated 29 February 2016
BizInt Smart Charts for Patents builds charts from search results on the new STN platform using the BizInt Smart Charts (.bpd) export format.
Version 4.2 (Feb 2016) supports platform changes in the new STN export for CAplus patent families and DWPI records. We strongly suggest all users working with new STN upgrade to version 4.2.
See the release notes for further details.
Trial software supporting new STN can be downloaded here.
"New STN and BizInt Smart Charts" (workshop slides from PIUG 2016)
Note: Exports on the new STN platform are limited to 500 records.
If your query returns more than 500 results, you can select and export blocks of up to 500 records and then combine the sets into one report in BizInt Smart Charts for Patents.
If you search multiple files, you can export one or more files at a time. The total number of results in each export file is limited to 500.
CAplus - Bibliographic and patent information only. GI structure images supported. (see also Notes 1, 3, 5) Version 4.2 (26 Feb 2016) required for abstract structures and to solve a problem with missing family data for some records.
DWPI - Including subscriber content, claims from selected member. We strongly suggest using the FULL or INVENTION exports only. (see Notes 1, 2, 3) Version 4.1.2 (23 Nov 2016) supports changes to the structure of the DWPI data, including a problem with missing Patent Assignee data.
Fulltext patent files - US, EP, PCT, AU, CA, CN, DE, FR, GB, IN, JP, KR - Bibliographic and patent information, English claims when present. (see Notes 2, 3)
Literature files - MEDLINE, EMBASE, BIOSIS, CABA, COMPENDEX, ENCOMPLIT, FSTA, INSPEC, TULSA - (see Note 4)
(1) SUBJECT_INDEXING is not extracted in this build.
(2) Most of the fulltext files may contain more than one publication per record. When more than one publication is present in a record, we attempt to select the information from the "most relevant" publication.
(3) We are displaying the original classification in most cases (e.g. IPCI rather than IPCR). Full details of IPC and CPC are not included at this time.
(4) Patent records in literature databases are supported, however the Inventor will be in the Author field, and Assignee in the CS field.
(5) Index terms and hit structures from CAplus are not supported in this build. However a HITRN column is extracted.
The following databases are not supported in this release.
INPADOC - currently not exportable from the new STN.
The following are databases which are more often used for searching, not reports. The results from these databases are typically crossed over to other databases for reporting purposes.
REGISTRY - Our thinking is that we should build a report from REGISTRY if that is the only database present. Otherwise we intend to use REGISTRY records to build a HITSTR report, but not explicitly show the records themselves. We are looking for guidance from our user community.
MARPAT, DWPIM - We need to think about how we can present this data in a meaningful way.
DCR, REAXSYSsub, REAXSYSbib - These are new databases for BizInt. We are looking for guidance from our user community on how to present the information in the files.