Support: Creating Reports from Databases/Hosts
Creating from STN
BizInt Smart Charts for Patents can build charts from search results from supported patent databases on STN. (Pipeline databases are not supported)
We recommend that you check the What's New sheets for the current list of supported databases.
BizInt Smart Charts supports transcripts created using the following
- STN Express 5.0 and above
- STN Alerts (save as Text or RTF)
- STN web-based platforms (save as RTF)
- Other terminal software
Step by Step
- Perform your search in STN.
- Display your results. Indented formats (such as IBIB) are not supported. If your chart has lots of empty cells,
you probably imported a transcript with indented records.
- Save the results as a transcript file in TRN or RTF format. If you save as an RTF
and it opens immediately in Microsoft Word, close the file without saving (see note below).
Import the file into BizInt Smart Charts for Patents.
- Images are supported for WPIDS in either RTF or TRN formats.
- Images from CA/CAplus, REGISTRY and MARPAT are supported only in RTF format.
- If you want to import your Full-Text links from the top of each record, these are supported only in RTF format.
- Warning: when creating RTF transcripts for use
with BizInt Smart Charts, do not save or edit the RTF file in MS Word.
If you do, you will not be able to import the transcript. We recommend that
you turn off the STN Express option to "Launch Word when saving as
RTF" under Preferences | Postprocessing.
Sequence search results
When importing sequence searches (e.g. from USGENE), keep the following in mind:
- results from BLAST and GETSIM searches are supported
- include ALIGN in your display format
- the Alignment and Sequence columns need to be edited to change the font to a fixed-width font (Courier New)