Products: BizInt Smart Charts for Patents
Subscribe to new releases by email or by RSS feed
Current version: BizInt Smart Charts for Patents Version 5.8.2 (2023-07-11)
Download customer software (requires userid and password)
Download tryout software (fully functional trial)
Each release of BizInt Smart Charts has a fixed lifetime. Learn more.
Release History for the Last 18 Months
New and Fixed in Version 5.8.2 (2023-07-11)
This release addresses some issues discovered in the 5.8 release. We
recommend that you install this release if you use PatBase, or export to
We've made Word export enhancements based on user feedback:
- You can change column widths in exported Word tables.
- New option for Word exports to "auto-fit to width". This will help fit your columns on the page, but columns will only be made as small as the largest word.
- Use File | Page Setup to specify chart orientation, paper size, and margins. By default, charts are in Landscape. Records are always in Portrait mode.
PatBase bugs fixed in this release (mostly related to the new PatBase export):
- chart creation could hang on import for some files;
- display glitch when two hit-highlight terms appeared consectutively;
- rows without images could be assigned an image incorrectly;
- expiry dates missing in the Family Status Expiry column;
- fixed several issues with citations.
Fixed in Version 5.8.1 (2023-06-27)
- Imports images and user fields (including PatKM fields) from the new PatBase BizInt export.
Introducing Version 5.8 (2023-05-26)
We are pleased to introduce version 5.8 with a number of major improvements.
- Exports to Word, Excel, and HTML: A major refresh of our exports is included in this release. We have introduced new styles and updated the old styles. Reference Rows exports now use the same styles as BizInt Smart Charts. You have a choice of style for every export, including Excel Optimized and Summary Records. We have fixed many display glitches, removed a few options that no longer made sense, and introduced a few new options, including:
- Option to include (or omit) the chart title in the export;
- Options for how cell sources are displayed in Reference Rows export.
- You can learn more from this support page.
- Added support for the current XML exports on PatBase, including hit term highlights in records (all hits use the same color).
- Also on PatBase, the software now converts kind codes for US publications to the kind code on the document face. This will help when linking to systems like Espacenet.
- Cleaned up the display of Notes in PatBase (both for the current BizInt export and XML), and allow the untruncated notes to be included in Summary Records.
- Ovid: Added more segment labels for Medline. DOI is extracted from the Article Identifiers field.
- STNext: Hit highlights in some fields would cause the software to lose track of the where it was reading. This has been fixed. Also fixed a few glitches in CAplus for non-patent literature.
Fixed in Version 5.7.3 (2022-11-28)
- Fixed a problem in Version 5.7.2 which prevented users from copying part of a cell or pasting additional information into a cell.
- When combining virtual databases on GenomeQuest with other charts, the columns are now mapped correctly. Also fixed an issue with patent families in charts from virtual databases.
New and updated in Version 5.7.2 (2022-11-16)
- Delete user and VP-SCE columns: A new Edit | Delete User Column command allows you to delete columns added by the user or by VP-SCE. These columns will be permanently removed, saving disk space, memory, and de-cluttering the Choose Column List. You can select and delete multiple user or VP-SCE columns. Only user or VP-SCE columns can be deleted; if you select a range of columns that contain publisher columns, only the user or VP-SCE columns will be deleted. You cannot undo column deletion, so we recommend using Save As... to save the original or new chart file with a different name.
- Hide Multiple Columns: The Edit | Hide Column command now allows you to select and hide multiple columns. Only adjacent columns can be selected to hide. You can undo hiding columns or go to the Choose Columns panel to redisplay hidden columns.
- USPTO Links: links to USPTO records created with this version go to the new Patent Center on the USPTO site. Be patient while the publication loads. If you have any other sites you'd like to see for US publication links, please let us know. (The USPTO PDF link is no longer available, sadly).
- Support for Patent Date in GeneSeq on GenomeQuest.
- Fixed a crash in Reference Rows when sorting by the Database column. The Summarize Unique Values rule is now applied to the Database column by default.
Show complete release history